Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Week Two: First Week of Classes & Free Trips!

So after being here for a week and doing some sightseeing and exploring, classes finally started! I am taking four classes here this semester, all having to do with one of my majors. I am taking two business classes: Distribution and Retail Management and Advertising Management. I am also taking two media classes: Web Design and Fashion and Media.

I started off the week with going to a class called Contemporary Visual Culture and after one class I knew I wasn't going to like it. I didn't want to be in a class that I knew I was going to be miserable in, so I went to talk to my advisor and she suggested the Fashion and Media class. I am happy with my decision to change classes!!

Classes are so different here than they are at St. Mike's. Instead of having a ton of assignments throughout the semester, we only have two or three assignments that count for our grade for the entire semester. To make life more interesting, our final exams are worth up to 50% of our grade. Also, in every class I am in we have a huge group project to do. I have had to do plenty of group projects in the past, but not in every class I am taking for the semester! It will be interesting managing four different groups, but it will be worth it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Since I only have class Monday through Wednesday, I have a four day weekend! Thursday wasn't too exciting, but on Friday my friends and I went to Oxford Circus to do a little shopping and more exploring! There are a ton of stores there, including a Primark, which until recently was only a European store. They just put one in Boston, which is great news!! I had never been there before but it was quite an experience. Honestly, I love shopping and this was just plain old overwhelming, but in a good way! Everything was extremely cheap (in price) and there were sooo many options! Easily my new favorite store! Friday night Richmond had a start of the semester party at a bar called Loop. It was a lot of fun and it was cool being in a bar with other people from my school.

Primark!!

Loop Bar.



Saturday during the day we got a free trip on the London Eye. We waited in a ridiculously long line to get on, but hey it was free! The experience was really cool though, so I am glad I did it! The view was absolutely amazing. I really want to go back and see it at night, the view would be even more amazing!

On top of the London Eye!


On Sunday we woke up bright and early to go to a day trip to Bath, England. My friend Abbey studied here over the summer and it was somewhere she told me I had to go! It was such a beautiful city. Obviously, much smaller than London, but very quaint and cute. We got a free entrance to the Roman Baths, which are so cool. They are the only hot water springs in England. They are surrounded by Roman ruins. They have built a whole new building over the ruins, with a museum inside that shows the actual ruins. I was kind of disappointed there was a building built around them, I think it would have been really cool to have left them the way they were and built the museum and exhibit around them. Still, it is cool to have said I have been there! On the way out you get to try the actual water, which is said to having healing powers. As soon as I took a sip, I wish I never had. It was warm and tasted like..... iron. Ew. But, hey at least I can say I've had it! After the trip to the baths, we got to explore a little. Walking around and seeing the cool little alley ways and shops around the city. We ate lunch at a place called The Stable, which was a pizza and cider place; it was cute! Our tour guides then took us on a quick walking tour of the city, which was cool. We got to see the "circus" which is a perfect circle made of apartments and a rotary in the middle of the city. We also go to see a huge park the Princess Victoria opened before she became Queen. After our day in Bath, we boarded the bus again for the two and a half hour drive back to London! It was a successful weekend!

Panorama of the Roman Baths!


That's all for now! Next weekend we are going to Paris... stay tuned! :)







No comments:

Post a Comment